Daily Archives: March 12, 2015

Comedian Andy Samberg chosen to host 2015 Emmy Awards

Actor Andy Samberg and wife, actress Joanna Newsom arrive at the 2015 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in Beverly Hills, California February 22, 2015. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok

Actor Andy Samberg and wife, actress Joanna Newsom arrive at the 2015 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in Beverly Hills, California February 22, 2015.

Credit: Reuters/Danny Moloshok


(Reuters) – Andy Samberg, a star of the comedy TV show “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” will host the 2015 Primetime Emmy Awards, the highest honors in U.S. television, organizers of the show said on Thursday.

The comedian, actor, writer and producer, whose breakthrough came on late-night sketch show “Saturday Night Live,” will emcee the show from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles that will be broadcast live by Fox TV on Sept. 20.

“Andy has excelled in all aspects of the television universe, both from behind and in front of the camera,” said Bruce Rosenblum, the chairman and CEO of the Television Academy.

Samberg, 36, performed on “SNL” for seven seasons before joining Fox police sitcom “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” to play Det. Jake Peralta, a role that earned him a best comedy actor Golden Globe last year.

Samberg shared an Emmy for outstanding original music and lyrics in 2007 for an SNL sketch song “Dick In A Box,” alongside pop singer Justin Timberlake.

The Television Academy announced new rules last month that will increase the number of contenders in comedy and drama categories to seven nominees from six in previous years.

Comedy series will also be defined as shows that are 30 minutes or shorter per episode and drama will be shows over 30 minutes. The mini-series was renamed “limited series” and changes were also announced in the variety series category.

Nominations for the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards will be announced on July 16.

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; Editing by Mary Milliken and Alan Crosby)


Source: Newsjyoti Entertainment

NIH center to admit U.S. healthcare worker with Ebola

<span class="articleLocatio

n”>(Reuters) – The U.S. National Institutes of Health will admit to its hospital on Friday a U.S. healthcare worker who tested positive for the Ebola virus while working in Sierra Leone.

The NIH said the patient will be transported in isolation by chartered aircraft to its high-security containment facility on its Maryland campus.

Earlier on Thursday, a British military healthcare worker infected with the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone was flown to London for treatment, and health officials said four more workers were being assessed for possible infection.

The unidentified American will be admitted and treated at the NIH Clinical Center’s Special Clinical Studies Unit. The patient will be the second confirmed Ebola patient to be treated at the facility, which also took care of Texas nurse Nina Pham, who became infected with Ebola while treating a patient at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

In addition to the two confirmed patients, NIH has also cared for two individuals who experienced high-risk exposures to Ebola while working in West Africa, but who were subsequently found not to be infected.

The NIH said it is not releasing any more details about the patient at this time.

Ebola has now killed nearly 10,000 people in the three worst-affected countries, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

Rates of new infections have come down quickly in recent months, however. Liberia last week released its last known Ebola patient from hospital, but Sierra Leone still had 127 patients in Ebola treatment centers as of March 10.

(Reporting by Julie Steenhuysen; Editing by Andre Grenon)


Source: Newsjyoti Health

UPDATE 2-Aeropostale posts surprise profit but forecasts loss

(Adds CEO and analyst comments, details; updates shares)

By Ramkumar Iyer

(Reuters) – Teen apparel retailer Aeropostale Inc
forecast a bigger quarterly loss than analysts had
expected, citing weak customer traffic at its stores, inclement
weather and shipment delays because of disruptions at ports on
the West Coast.

Shares of the mall-based retailer, which also reported an
adjusted quarterly profit after two years of losses, fell 9
percent in extended trading on Thursday.

Faced with stiff competition from fast-fashion retailers
such as H&M, Forever 21 and Inditex’s Zara,
Aeropostale has started offering trendier styles to attract
young shoppers.

However, delays in shipments of some of its spring and
summer lines are expected to partly hurt Aeropostale in the
current quarter, Chief Executive Julian Geiger said on a
conference call.

The company has also been hurt by teenagers cutting back on
mall visits and discretionary spending, opting instead for
online shopping to get better deals.

Geiger, however, said he expected improvement in
Aeropostale’s performance as the year progresses, helped by the
back-to-school shopping season.

“Despite being off to an inconsistent start in the first
quarter, we believe that we will see slow and sequential
improvements in our performance over the first half of the
year,” Geiger said.

Rival Abercrombie & Fitch Co reported a 14 percent
drop in fourth-quarter sales last week due to low demand for its
logo-focused clothing.

Aeropostale forecast a loss of 53-61 cents per share for the
current quarter. Analysts on average were expecting a loss of 36
cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

“It still seems like a pretty challenging environment. The
bad weather hasn’t helped either,” FBR Capital Markets analyst
Susan Anderson told Reuters.

Aeropostale reported a 9 percent fall in comparable sales
for the fourth quarter ended Jan. 31, the tenth straight quarter
of decline.

Aeropostale’s net loss narrowed to $13.5 million, or 17
cents per share, from $70.3 million, or 90 cents per share, a
year earlier.

Excluding items, the company earned 1 cent per share.

Net sales fell 11.3 percent to $593.8 million.

Analysts on average expected a loss of 3 cents per share and
revenue of $577.4 million.

Aeropostale’s shares were trading at $3.37 after the bell.
Up to Thursday’s close, the stock had fallen nearly 50 percent
in the past 12 months.

(Editing by Kirti Pandey)


Source: Newsjyoti Hot Stock News

Harper Lee wants second novel published, Alabama official says

<span class="articleLocatio

n”>(Reuters) – An Alabama agency has closed an investigation into whether Harper Lee, the 88-year-old author of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” was manipulated into the publication of a second novel after she made clear she wanted it in print, a state official said on Thursday.

The Alabama Securities Commission opened its investigation after an unspecified complaint of elder abuse, first reported by the New York Times, tied to the upcoming publication of “Go Set a Watchman.”

“We made a determination that Ms. Lee, based on our interview with her, was aware that her book was going to be published,” said Joseph Borg, who heads the commission. “She wanted it to be published. She made it quite clear she did.”

Borg said the commission looked into the case at the request of the Alabama Department of Human Resources, which is charged with protecting against elder abuse.

Lee’s attorney, Tonja Carter, has dismissed publicly aired concerns, including from actress Mia Farrow and writer Madeleine Davies, about whether Lee was pressured into agreeing to have the book published.

“She is alive and kicking and happy as hell with the reactions of ‘Watchman,'” Carter said in a statement.

“Go Set a Watchman” was written before “To Kill a

Mockingbird,” which won a Pulitzer Prize after its 1960 publication, sold more than 30 million copies and was adapted into an Academy Award-winning film.

The new book, scheduled to be published on July 14, features lawyer Atticus Finch 20 years after the action of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” as his adult daughter, Scout, returns to visit him in the fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama.

(Reporting by Jonathan Kaminsky in New Orleans and Curtis Skinner in San Francisco; Editing by Paul Tait and Peter Cooney)


Source: Newsjyoti Lifestyle

London fashions a show in memory of designer Alexander McQueen

A dress from the Alexander McQueen It's Only a Game, spring/summer 2005 collection is reflected in mirrors in the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition at the V&A in London, March 12, 2015. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett


(Reuters) – A butterfly he address, feathered gowns and garments crafted from horns, hair and seashells went on display in London this week in a exhibition celebrating the work of the late British fashion designer Alexander McQueen.

McQueen was famous for his daring creations and avant-garde fashion shows which drew upon themes of nature, history, romance and tragedy.

Trained as apprentice on London’s Savile Row, the designer rose from an east end London boyhood to become of the world’s leading talents in fashion before he took his own life five years ago.

More than 240 pieces of McQueen’s work feature in the exhibition at London’s Victoria and Albert Museum, including dresses made from feathers and hand painted glass, as well as intricately embroidered kimonos and lace-covered antlers.

It was the designer’s attention to detail that stood out for curator Claire Wilcox, who helped bring the show to London.

“McQueen’s collections were so enthralling and yet at the same time each garment was so beautifully crafted — so you have this extreme attention to detail, fastidious tailoring, beautiful embellishments and incorporation of all sorts of different materials,” she told Reuters.

Divided into 10 different rooms, the exhibition takes visitors on a journey through the designer’s work, including videos of his shows and special pieces from his archive.

In one room, the Cabinet of Curiosities, 120 garments and accessories can be seen, including his signature “Armadillo” shoes, a number of headdresses by his friend and collaborator Philip Treacy and a white strapless gown that was spray-painted by robots in one of his iconic shows.

The exhibition, which was originally shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, is a homecoming for the designer whose earlier work was heavily influenced heavily by London where he grew up and based his label.

McQueen was known for his ability to shock and his autumn/winter 1995 collection “Highland Rape” which featured disheveled looking models in torn clothing was considered a classic example.

“He did court controversy and he wanted to get people’s attention with his shows,” said Wilcox.

“There is no doubt that was an element of fearless, the bravado, the East End boy — all of these elements but I think people are just struck with admiration for his creativity … and his artistry,” she added.

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty opens on Mar. 14 and will run until Aug. 2.

(Reporting by Li-mei Hoang)


Source: Newsjyoti Entertainment

U.S. Senate committee advances 'threat-sharing' cybersecurity bill

WASHINGTON Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:42am IST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee voted 14-1 on Thursday to approve a bill intended to enhance information sharing between private companies and intelligence agencies about cybersecurity threats.

The panel’s approval cleared the way for a vote in the full Senate on the measure, which would extend some legal liability protection to companies to make it easier for them to share data with the government to help prevent and respond to cyber attacks.

Some privacy advocates opposed the bill, worrying that it would do too little to prevent more data collection by the National Security Agency and other U.S. intelligence agencies. Such surveillance has come under scrutiny since 2013 disclosures by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

Privacy concerns were cited by the only member of the committee who voted against the bill, Democratic Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon. “It’s a surveillance bill by another name,” Wyden said in a statement.

The measure was partly inspired by recent cyber attacks on major corporations, including Sony(6758.T). Several major firms, including Microsoft Corp(MSFT.O), Lockheed Martin(LMT.N) and Morgan Stanley(MS.N), had pushed for a threat-sharing bill, according to media reports.

Given its strong support in the committee, the measure is given a good chance of passing when it comes up for a vote in the full Senate, most likely in the coming months.

But it also must win passage in the House of Representatives to be sent for President Barack Obama to sign into law.

Representative Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said he was optimistic the panel would have its own bill in the coming weeks.

(Editing by Sandra Maler and Will Dunham)

Source: Newsjyoti India Technology

UPDATE 1-Judge orders examiner in Caesars' affiliate bankruptcy

(New throughout, adds details from court filing, background)

By Tom Hals and Nick Brown

(Reuters) – A U.S. bankruptcy judge on Thursday
ordered an independent examiner to investigate transactions by
the operating unit of Caesars Entertainment Corp, which
filed for Chapter 11 this year.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Benjamin Goldgar directed the examiner
to investigate “any apparent self-dealing or conflicts of
interest involving the debtors or their affiliates.”

Creditors have alleged that the operating unit is unable to
pay its debts because the parent company looted it for the
benefit of its controlling private equity backers, Apollo Global
Management and TPG Capital Management.

Court papers said the examiner, to be appointed by the U.S.
Trustee, will be tasked with analyzing the propriety of a number
of intercompany deals that are at the heart of the bankruptcy of
Caesars Entertainment Operating Co, or CEOC.

As the operating company struggled to overhaul its
operations prior to filing for bankruptcy, it transferred a
number of its most valuable properties and casinos to affiliates
of the parent company.

Creditors have alleged the moves were illegal efforts by the
parent company to put the assets beyond the reach of creditors.

The parent company has said the assets were transferred for
a fair value, which is likely to be a key part of the examiner’s
report.

Among the disputed transactions are the transfer of CEOC’s
interest in online gaming businesses in 2011; the 2013 transfer
of the Octavius Tower in Las Vegas; and the 2014 transfers of
Las Vegas casinos The Cromwell and The Quad, Bally’s Las Vegas
and Harrah’s New Orleans.

The operating unit has acknowledged the need for an
examiner, but sought a narrower scope than did the company’s
creditors. CEOC said an examiner with unbridled scope could cost
millions of dollars.

Last month, the operating unit in court papers charted
recent bankruptcies in which examiners were appointed, noting
that most have ultimately exceeded their budgets.

In the bankruptcy of Residential Capital, examiner Arthur
Gonzalez was projected to cost $36 million over six months.
Instead the former U.S. Bankruptcy judge spent 10 months filing
a report that cost about $90 million, CEOC showed.

The examiner in Lehman Brothers’ 2008 bankruptcy cost $100
million, up from a projected cost of only $23 million, according
to the chart.

The case is Caesars Entertainment Operating Co., U.S.
Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois, No. 15-1145

(Reporting by Tom Hals in Wilmington, Delaware; Editing by
Steve Orlofsky and David Gregorio)


Source: Newsjyoti Bankruptcy News

Judge orders investigation in Caesars affiliate bankruptcy

(Reuters) – A U.S. bankruptcy judge on Thursday
ordered an independent examiner to investigate transactions by
the operating unit of Caesars Entertainment Corp, which
filed for Chapter 11 earlier this year, according to court
filings.

Creditors have alleged the parent company looted the
operating unit in recent years for the benefit of its
controlling private equity backers, Apollo Global Management
and TPG Capital Management, leaving it unable
to pay its debts.

(Reporting by Tom Hals in Wilmington, Delaware; Editing by
Steve Orlofsky)


Source: Newsjyoti Bankruptcy News

Republicans stand by Iran letter, despite furor

Senator John McCain (R-AZ) speaks to reporters after a procedural vote on Capitol Hill in Washington September 10, 2014. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

Senator John McCain (R-AZ) speaks to reporters after a procedural vote on Capitol Hill in Washington September 10, 2014.

Credit: Reuters/Joshua Roberts


(Reuters) – U.S. Senator John McCain said on Thursday that Republicans stood behind a letter to Iran’s leaders threatening to undo any nuclear deal despite an outpouring of criticism from the White House, U.S. allies and Democrats.

He said the Republican senators could have taken more time to talk about it, but he had no remorse.

“Maybe we should have had more discussion about it,” McCain told Reuters. “I certainly think I should have signed it, and I think that the message needs to be sent.”

The letter signed by 47 of the 54 Republican senators warned Iran that any nuclear deal made with President Barack Obama, a Democrat, could last only as long as he remained in office – a highly unusual intervention into U.S. foreign policy-making.

McCain and Senator Lindsey Graham, another frequent critic of Obama’s foreign policy, spoke extensively in the Senate on Thursday defending the letter. “We’re not going to let you tell us we have no voice in lifting the sanctions we created,” Graham said.

Republican Senator Tom Cotton approached his fellow lawmakers and asked them to sign the letter last week.

The letter infuriated the White House and generated many harshly critical newspaper editorials as well as legal questions about whether the senators violated U.S. law by seeking to communicate directly with a foreign government.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told reporters in Washington on Wednesday that the letter was not useful. Unhelpful is an “understatement,” he said.

Iran’s Supreme Leader hit out at the letter on Thursday, saying he was worried because the United States was known for “backstabbing,” Mehr news agency reported.

The New York Daily News put the banner “Traitors” on its front page, with pictures of some of the signers.

Senator Mark Kirk, another of the Republicans who signed the letter, said he was surprised by some of the reaction. “For Tom Cotton, a decorated military officer, to accuse him of treason is way over the top,” he said.

Democrats accused the Republicans of trying to make the Iran nuclear debate partisan after years of two-party work on the issue.

Cotton’s staff said he had reached out to “several” Democrats about the letter. But none said they had been contacted, including Senator Robert Menendez, one of the leading Democratic hawks on Iran.

(This story correctscountry in headline to Iran)

(Additional reporting by Amanda Becker and Jeff Mason; Editing by Jason Szep and Cynthia Osterman)


Source: Newsjyoti Politics

BRIEF-U.S. bankruptcy judge orders examiner to investigate operating unit of Caesars Entertainment Corp

(Reuters) – Caesars Entertainment Corp:
* U.S. bankruptcy judge appoints examiner to investigate
operating unit of

Caesars Entertainment Corp
* U.S. bankruptcy judge says Caesars Entertainment
other parties must

cooperate fully with examiner
* U.S. bankruptcy judge overseeing Caesars operating unit
case says

examiner has 60 days to file final report
* Bankruptcy judge says Caesars operating unit examiner
will probe the

“insider transactions” identified by noteholders
* Bankruptcy judge: Caesars operating unit examiner
will probe any

apparent self-dealing, conflicts involving the debtors


Source: Newsjyoti Company News